Posted by chris on Dec 8th, 2008
- Sample of Hennings cranberry cheddar from Whole Foods
- All natural bone-in rib eye steak, seasoned with garlic, rosemary, butter, salt & pepper
- Green beans with chopped almonds and butter. They were good, but next time I’ll throw in some cayenne pepper or something to spice it up.
- Grilled vegetables. I lazily bought these from Sonoma Chicken Coop at the last minute.
- 337 2006 Cabernet Sauvignon
- Kashi GOLEAN crunchy chocolate peanut bar. I’m tempted to stop mentioning this, since I have one almost every day.
The steak was cooked using a method that I believe Cook’s Illustrated gets credit for. I usually pan-sear first and then transfer to an oven that’s also cooking the vegetables/sides. But I read about people cooking steak in a 250 degree oven first and then searing it. This allows the steak to cook evenly at a low temperature in the oven, while still getting that nice texture by blasting it with high heat to finish it off.
The steak was super tender and I think as I use this method more, I’ll only get better results. But I’m all steak-ed out for the moment, so it may be a while before I get to try this again.