Posted by chris on Dec 6th, 2012
- Daisy: I wonder if this week old duck is still okay
- Chris: Could be pushing it
- Daisy: Eh. The microwave will kill the germs
- Chris: I’m eating oatmeal with brown sugar and apples
- Daisy: I’m eating future food poisoning!
Not surprisingly, this is a girl who told me last week, “I like living life on the edge… of the toilet.”
Posted by chris on Jul 15th, 2009
I never set an alarm clock. I work from home, on my own schedule and sleep very sporadically. I don’t plan things in advance so I rarely need to be somewhere at a specific time. But this morning, I broke my habit and set an iTunes alarm for 10:45AM…
All cause of Gregory’s Gourmet Desserts in Oakland, California. They’re open to the public one day a week: Wednesdays at 11:00AM (They close when they sell out.) Gregory’s is first & foremost a wholesale bakery, catering to hotels & restaurants. But due to public demand, they decided to open their doors to common streetwalkers — one day a week.
Their priority still lies with their corporate clients: They don’t have a “store-front” for the public. No fancy glass cases to show off their sweets like expensive jewelry. You basically walk down some stairs to a back room of the kitchen where they sell you cookies right off the baking trays.
No fancy printed menu behind the cash register (no cash register, either.) Instead, you walk by a human-sized dry-erase whiteboard just outside the door, filled from edge-to-edge with a huge list of cookies, cakes & cobblers. It’s not even pretty handwriting. It looks like I wrote it — And if you’ve ever had the misfortune of getting something handwritten from me, you know how shocking that is.
Fuck it. They don’t make menus, they make desserts. And you want ‘em.
- Key lime pie
- Peach cobbler
- 3 dark chocolate coffee cookies
- White chocolate blueberry oatmeal cookie. Tons of blueberry flavor. This is coming from a guy who’s still recovering from a cold.
- Peanut butter chocolate chip cookie
All for me.